Mon premier weekend à Nantes
Wow, I had a busy weekend. Friday and Saturday night we spent... bar-hopping. Of course. Nous sommes américains, so we have to that weird little emancipation from the 21 and older laws back home. Personally, I don't understand the obsession, but I did appreciate sipping champagne by the chateau. Also it's nice that many of the clubs are free here, because I adore dancing... even if French people don't. It's also a great way to meet young French people and start conversations. Granted, you aren't going to form a lasting friendship in a bar, at least, not often, but it's a nice chance to practice the language. And of course we go in groups and walk each other home and all of that... we've had plenty of seminars to teach us how to be safe. It's a big city, but as long as you avoid certain areas at night, you'll be fine.
As far as more cultural activities go, we went to see a French film, 5x2. The 2 is a French couple, the 5, five events in their life. Which, just to be interesting, go backwards, so the movie starts with their divorce and ends with the first time they met. Hmm. Like many French movies, it did not leave much to the imagination, and the plot didn't make any sense to me. But I was proud that I understood most of the dialogue. :)
On Sunday, I went to mass at St. Pierre, the biggest cathedral in town (yes, there are several fantastic old churches here!). It was amazing. I can't even describe the feeling I had when I walked in. The towering vaulted ceilings, the stained glass windows, the thundering organ music, the scent of the incense - I was honestly almost dizzy with awe. The Church certainly knew how to make an impression 500 years ago... It was like going to mass in the Notre Dame cathedral, if that gives you any idea. At any rate, the mass was what I'm used to, although keeping up with the French reponses and hymns was a bit tricky. It was a very cool experience, though. I'd love to explore a different church (or Gothic cathedral, as the case may be) next week!
Funny story: That afternoon I was in a great mood, thinking, "You know, this France thing isn't so bad. I know my way around now. I understand the basic customs. That didn't take so long..." Famous last words. I was meeting a friend at the train station, which I'd never been to (other than arriving there 2 weeks ago). I missed my bus, and so had to walk. It didn't look so far on the map, but it took 45 minutes. Then I finally navigate my way there with the aid of a map, and it's the wrong station. Ha ha. I thought there was only one. So I take the bus back, and finally rendez-vous with my friend an hour and a half late. Whoops. That's what overconfidence will do for ya. :) Oh, well.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home